Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Rachel's Challenge

This Thursday Riverside High School is going to participate in an assembly called Rachel's Challenge. Rachel Scott was the first student killed in the Columbine High School Tragedy on April 20, 1999. She left behind an amazing legacy and a simple challenge to anyone willing to accept it---treat others with kindness and compassion and you just may change the world you live in. The staff of Riverside High School is in the process of completeing preparatory work to insure that the students can emotionally handle the magnitude of the subject matter. The goal is not to glorify school violence or to promote it as a solution, but rather to educate our students and show the importance of positive living. In an effort to accomplish this goal, we are also inviting parents and community members to view the presentation and accept Rachel's Challenge on Thursday evening. Please make it a point to come to Riverside High School at 7pm on Thursday to listen and learn. It might just change your world.

Invitation:
If you are an individual that cares about kids, cares about where our society is headed, or are just plain compassionate...I invite you to come hear an incredible story of courage and hope.

Columbine High School: A Time To Remember. A Time To Hope.

Rachel's Challenge: You just might start a chain reaction.

Rachel Scott was the first person killed in the Columbine High School Tragedy on April 20, 1999. She left behind an amazing legacy and a simple challenge to anyone who will accept it--treat others with kindness and compassion and you just may change the world you live in.

Riverside High School Auditorium/Gym
March 13, 2008
7pm-8pm
Please Attend!!!
Advised: No young children.

This is a very emotional and moving presentation given by Rachel's family members. The family, soon after the Tragedy, made a pledge to visit as many middle schools and high schools in the United States to spread Rachel's Challenge. 9 years later and they are still carrying on Rachel's Challenge. I strongly urge you to attend. It will change your life.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks very interesting and I hope to hear what they have to say on Thursday night. The Columbine Tragedy is something that should never be forgotten, and I hope that Rachel's friends and family are successful!

Chez said...

I am so pleased to be getting such positive parental feedback about Rachel's Challenge. I hope to see and meet many of you there on Thursday. It's up to us as a school community to make a change.

Anonymous said...

I will be there Thursday to show support.

bOsTiC&ScHoOlCrAfT said...

I am looking forward to our visit with rachels family. I think it will open the students minds and hearts to feel compasion for others. This should bring a message to kids. I cant wait!!!!
-Brittney 3rd block

Anonymous said...

I was getting on here as an extra credit assignment but again I read what was posted and it hit me again. Everytimes I hear about Rachel's Challenge I get so anxious. I am really excited about this because i've never experienced anything like what Rachel did and I want to be able to be apart of the chain reaction in which Rachel and her family wants so that this will never happen again. This is very important, and I'm so glad that i have teachers and a principal who care so much about me that they made this mandatory to at least attend it as long as possibel for you, because it can be emotional so they say. Ever since Chez mentioned it I've been saying "can't wait 'til next thursday, cant wait til this thursday, cant wait til tomorrow." Im usually saying Thand God its Friday but now Im saying Thank God tomorrow's Thursday [;.. I am really looking forward to attending this event. [;

Anonymous said...

I think Rachael's Challenge coming to our school is kind of shocking, because I never thought something like this would come. I'm very curious to hear answers that I have wondered about all week. In my head the question that I would like to know the most would be "Why?" What was going through the killers mind? I think it will be a wake up call to our school, and it will be a big step on stopping bullying in the enviroment.

Kevin said...

I am glad that this family has helped so many people understand what has happened to there little girl. I hope tomorrow will change the way people think of others around then. I hope this helps make our school more positive

Anonymous said...

Today was so amazing. I never thought that one person could make that much of a difference. She really showed the world that a little kindness goes a long way. I really hope that by listen to rachel's challenge today that some people might start to think about the things that they do and make a difference. I do know some people who remind me of rachel with their kindness to others.
rachel's story made me realize that you make who you are and you can be the one to make a change or inpact on someone else's life. I really enjoyed hearing about her life and plan to take those things to heart.

Tiffany 3rd block